School Name and Logo
Barton Manor School Name and Logo
The Barton Manor School is a member of Barton Court Academy Trust (BCAT) and resides in the Barton ward of Canterbury. It is named after the Trust, the ward where it resides and after the fine mansion house, built in 1750, which is BCATs Head Office on the Barton Court Grammar School site.
The logo is derived from:
‘Barton’ is an amalgamation of
- ‘Bar-‘ The Old English ‘bere’ meaning ‘barley’; the cereal grain
- ‘-ton’ signifying ‘enclosure’, ‘settlement’
‘Manor’ derives from Latin and signifies a ‘dwelling’
Resulting in ‘Barton Manor’ meaning ‘Barley Enclosure’.
Barley is included in the school logo/shield
Barton Court the ‘dwelling’ of which Barton Manor School takes its name symbolises
The Head Office of Barton Court Academy Trust is the manor house situated on Barton Court Grammar School site. The site was established around 598-605 AD as the home-farm of the Abbey of St Augustine. Barton Court was demolished and rebuilt in 1750 as a fine mansion house.
The building is an 18th century build with Flemish Bond Brick Work with a three-section Venetian Window.
This Venetian Window is included in the School logo/shield
The Hougham Family owned Barton Court from 1657 to 1902. This wealthy and influential family had links to royalty and powerful people. The family coat of arms include a falcon which is included in the school logo/shield
- Rising above challenging situations